State of South Dakota Children’s Wellbeing Data Initiative
The initial project spans from August 2021 to September 2023 and seeks to investigate data in South Dakota surrounding the health and wellness of children for the purpose of:
- Improving state- and local-level tracking and monitoring of children’s wellbeing data in South Dakota;
- Improving statewide access to timely and relevant data on the wellbeing of South Dakota children; and
- Increasing state-level data-driven decision-making to promote the wellbeing of South Dakota children.
The Data Initiative supports the development of a dashboard of available data sources for key indicators of children’s well-being and the publication of annual reports. CPCM has partnered with ParaUX Design to create the dashboard, which is in the early phases of development. CPCM also partnered with Benchmark Data Labs to publish the State of South Dakota Children’s Wellbeing Data Initiate 2021 Annual Report. In preparation for this report, Benchmark Data Labs assisted with the design and implementation of data collection tools and processes.
This inaugural report includes:
- A summary of findings collected via an electronic survey on data accessibility, gaps, and needs;
- Findings from a focus group of SD epidemiologists exploring common facilitators and barriers to accessing and sharing children’s health data, data gaps, and issues regarding data sovereignty;
- An overview of databases tracking SD children’s well-being indicators; and
- An overview of the types of indicators being tracked.